This basic Thanksgiving recipe can be made ahead of time at various stages in the recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ - 2 cups broth (turkey or chicken)
- 6 cups bread cubes (optional: toast bread cubes at 350˚F until lightly browned)
- 1 sprig rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 6 leaves sage (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 handful nuts (optional; walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts)
- salt & pepper to taste
Roast the nuts until fragrant if using, let cool, and chop coarsely. Set aside.
Melt butter over medium heat.
Add onions and saute until translucent, stirring frequently.
Add celery and saute until soft.
Add the remaining ingredients and transfer to an oven-proof dish.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350˚F for about 30 mins. Remove foil and bake for another 10 mins or until edges of bread cubes are crisp.
- feel free to add any other ingredients or omit some
- you can easily make this stuffing vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken stock