Caraway Cookware | Everything You REALLY need to know
In this honest review, I am telling you everything you need to know about Caraway cookware so you can decide whether it is right for you.
You have probably seen these beautiful Caraway cookware pots and pans on your Instagram feed.
Or you’re in the market for some non-toxic ceramic cookware and you’d like to know more about this brand.
Well, I was pretty excited about testing it out because it seemed like everything one might look for in modern cookware. Especially, since I happened to see it in a Crate & Barrel store. The sales lady was raving about it and said the customers were, too.
So I thought I would give you an honest and full Caraway cookware review.
For full disclosure, I need to mention that I was given this Caraway cookware set for free but all my very honest opinions are my own!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here.
What is included in the Caraway cookware set?
When you order the whole set, you will get these pieces, all neatly packed in a big cardboard box:
- 10.5-inch Fry Pan
- 4.5-quart sauté pan
- 3-quart saucepan
- 6.5-quart dutch oven with lid
- a canvas lid holder with hooks
- 4 magnetic pan racks
- 2 cork trivets
They do come in modern, sophisticated colors such as navy, sage, perracotta (an interesting blend of terracotta and pink), gray, or cream. Those color choices may vary over time.
Do you have to buy the entire set?
No, you don’t. Either through the company or at places such as Crate & Barrel, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Nordstrom’s and even on amazon.com you can purchase the Caraway pots and pans individually.
How much does it cost?
I know cost is always a big factor for me.
At the time of writing this post, the official price is $545 for the set but is discounted to $395. The individual pieces range from $95 to $145. If you use my special link you can get 10% off anything on their website.
Overview of Caraway cookware:
The first thing I noticed was that this ceramic cookware set came neatly packaged in cardboard. We have cooked a variety of dishes in this what looks like high-quality cookware. According to Caraway Home’s website, their cookware has an aluminum core and a mineral-based coating.
And if you like cooking with non-stick ceramic, they also offer an entire line of bakeware products.
What does the company say about Caraway cookware?
The company claims that their line of cookware is
- “designed to make your life easier and healthier”
- “as clean as your ingredients”
- has a “mineral-based coating that won’t leach toxic materials into your clean & healthy ingredients”
- “releases up to 60% less CO2 when produced compared to traditional non-stick coatings”
- “naturally slick pans that require less oil or butter for cooking and less scrubbing for a spotless clean”
- “free of PTFE (such as Teflon®), lead, cadmium, and other toxic materials”
That is a lot of promises!
The Pros of Caraway cookware:
I have tested Caraway’s cookware set for a few months and so far it has performed really well. Here’s what I like best about it:
- The non-stick surface: yes, it really is very slick on new cookware. So far, I haven’t had any food that stuck to the bottom.
- Use less oil: While the company touts that as a plus, for me it is neutral. We are not afraid of healthy fats so this may not be a big deal for you, either.
- Even heat distribution: I do like that the pots and pans seem to heat very evenly.
- Easy clean-up: what’s not to like: After we have fried some bacon, I just wipe the pan clean with a towel. Done!
- Oven-safe: All these cookware pieces can go into the oven up to 500˚F.
- Beautiful colors and modern design: while function is usually more important to me, I am not impervious to beauty!
- The storage solution: I am not sure it does a lot for me. Even though it seems well thought-out, I don’t have the space either on my counter or in the cabinets for the magnetic holders. Likewise, we don’t really have a cabinet door where we could hang the lid holder.
- 30-day return policy: I have not used it myself but I understand that you can return your Caraway cookware within 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked. You just have to pack everything the way it came. And you get free shipping both ways. Essentially, this is a 30-day trial.
- 1-year limited warranty: While I don’t know exactly what is covered by their “limited” warranty, I like the fact that they offer that.
- Recycling: I like that you can find recycling centers on their website – I guess where you can take this cookware once it wears out.
The Cons of Caraway cookware:
Here is what I dislike the most about this cookware:
- It is very delicate: If you’re not careful, the coating chips very easily. Especially the cream color is very prone to nicking.
- Handwash only: This is not necessarily a con for me since I handwash my cast iron all the time. But I know that a lot of home cooks prefer sticking their cookware in the dishwasher.
- Only for low to medium heat: I often really like to sear at high temperatures. Also, I am cooking with gas, and dependent on which burner I am using, I feel that “low to medium” is a relative term.
- Uneven bottom of the pan: the inside of the pan is slightly higher than the outside which makes oils pool there.
- Only wood, silicone, plastic, or nylon utensils: Since I only have wooden or metal utensils in my kitchen (except for some silicone spatulas), my choices here are limited. It also tells me that I have to be very careful not to scratch the coating.
- Lid handles: they can get very hot, especially closer to the actual frying pan and after prolonged cooking. So you need an oven mitt even just for cooking.
- Longevity: Contrary to cast iron which only gets better with age if you treat it right or my decades-old cookware from stainless steel, nobody knows how long the Caraway cookware pieces really last. However, we do know that the ceramic nonstick coating wears off after a lot of use. And then what?
- Greenwashing: The company makes a lot of very bold claims. Some of them really don’t mean anything while I find others misleading. This article, this article, and this article have more information. This cookware may not quite be as non-toxic as they claim.
- Made in China: While the Caraway products were designed in the US, they are actually manufactured in China.
Is Caraway cookware worth it or right for you?
That is a good question and only you know whether Caraway cookware is right for you. I have tried to give you enough details and information so that you can make an educated decision.
However, I think this cookware could work for someone who:
- doesn’t like to cook a whole lot or every day
- likes the clean, beautiful look, and color choices of the Caraway cookware
- prioritizes the non-stick features and the easy clean-up
- has the budget to buy either individual pieces or the whole Caraway cookware set
- doesn’t mind having to replace a pot or pan after some years
- wants a better alternative to traditional non-stick cookware
If you’d like to get your hands on this beautiful cookware you can get 10% off any item on their website with this link.
My opinion – the bottom line:
While I certainly love the clean look and the non-stick feature, I like my everyday cookware to be more practical and robust. There are too many things I have to watch out for.
Given, that this cookware has only been around since 2018, we don’t really know how it holds up long term. From my own experience and from what I have been reading, the Caraway cookware chips very easily. Also, the non-stick feature seems to wear off pretty quickly.
My biggest concern however is that it may not be as non-toxic as the company is telling us based on this review.
Therefore, I haven’t decided exactly what I am going to do with this set but I do know that I love my cast iron pans and dutch ovens a whole lot better!
They really are beautiful. Thank you for giving me your honest review! I feel much better knowing someone I know and trust has personal experience with them when considering a purchase.
They sure are beautiful!
Such a thorough and unbiased take. You and my wife seem to have similar tastes so I will discuss this with her and, if we buy, will definitely give you credit through your affiliate links for your hard work and helpfulness.
Thank you so much, Brad! I am so happy to hear you find my reviews helpful!
Thank you so much for this honest and helpful feedback. I have been curious about these but I feel much more confident about making a decision now.