I’ll show you how you can make a delicious, easy-to-make clay-pot potato casserole that comes together quickly. Your family will love it!
I love creating healthy meals!
I also love recipes that are easy and delicious.
This clay-pot tri-color potato casserole is both super easy and so delicious! Using yellow, red, and purple potatoes adds a splash of color to your meal.
Clay pot cooking
I have a few favorite kitchen items and the clay pot is certainly one of them.
Cooking in clay pots has been around for thousands of years. For good reason! Cooking food in clay pots looks in the flavor, aromas, and moisture for a delicious meal. While clay pots are often used to cook meats (check out my clay pot chicken recipe), you can really cook anything in it.
You can get a clay pot here. They come in different sizes so it fits your family’s needs. In our home, we use the large size so that we can easily roast a bird in it.
First, you need to soak both your clay pot and the lid in cold water. I like to do that in my sink. The manufacturer says 10 mins but I often like to do it longer. It’s really easy to soak it while you’re preparing the food that goes into it.
For this recipe, I am using yellow, red, and purple potatoes that I cut into thin slices. Next, I cut two cloves of garlic into small slices.
While you can cook anything in a clay pot without added liquids, I like my potato casserole with a little bit of something.
Therefore, I mix about 1/2 cup of sour cream with some water and about 1 tsp of chicken bouillon.
I also grate some cheese as a topping.
This might have taken me about 10 mins or more.
Now, I drain all the water from the clay pot. Then, I arrange the potato slices into the clay pot, toss them with the garlic slices. Next, I add the sour cream mixture to it and mix everything a bit. Lastly, I sprinkle the cheese on top and put the lid on the clay pot.
It’s very important that you put the clay pot into a cold oven. NEVER put it into a hot as that may crack it!
Once your clay pot is in the oven, turn it to about 420˚F. Bake your casserole for about 45-60 mins. If you want to check up on your casserole, be sure to place it on a wooden board, never on a cold stone countertop. Quickly open the lid and immediately put it back on. You don’t want too much steam escaping!
If your potatoes are soft and tender, you might like to return the clay pot back to the oven without the lid to brown it. However, I often find that my food browns even with the lid on. See what happens to your food.
How to clean your clay pot and take care of it
Your clay pot can go right onto your table. Once you’re ready to clean, use only hot water and maybe 1 drop of dish soap. You can use a dish brush to clean it. If I have food seriously stuck to my clay pot, I like to use my copper scouring pad (check it out in my favorite cleaning essentials here). Over time, your clay pot will develop a deeper color – a patina. Luckily, that does not affect your clay pot’s ability to cook delicious food.
You can nest the pot in the lid and let both dry in a well-ventilated place. Then you can store it away until its next use.
Clay Pot Potato Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 2-3 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- ¼ – ½ cup cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to tast
- Soak both the lid and the clay pot in cold water (about 10 mins or longer). When done preparing your ingredients, drain all the water.
- Arrange sliced potatoes in the clay pot with the sliced garlic.
- Mix sour cream and bouillon with about 1/4 – 1/2 c of water. Pour over potatoes and mix lightly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Put lid onto clay pot and place into COLD oven. Turn oven to 420˚F. Cook potatoes for 45-60 mins. You can check, making sure to place the hot clay pot on thick towels, pot holders, or a wooden chopping board. Only open lid quickly. If potatoes are not done, put lid back on and cook for another 10 mins. If desired, place clay pot in the oven without the lid to brown the cheese.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables and protein!