With just 3 ingredients you can make these easy, delicious, and healthy salmon patties. They make the perfect quick weeknight dinner!
Whether you need a quick dinner or want to make something healthy, these salmon patties are always a hit!
With simple ingredients and a fuss-free process, you’ll have a scrumptious meal on the table on busy weeknights.
I am so excited to show you how to create these mouthwatering patties that will leave your family craving for more!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read my full disclosure.
What are the ingredients
You only need three ingredients for these tender salmon patties:
- Canned salmon: The main ingredient is such a pantry staple in our home. There are different variations but we love Sockeye salmon. Trader Joe’s has a great price for really good quality.
- Eggs: These keep the salmon cakes in shape; I try to get pasture-raised organic eggs whenever possible
- Bread crumbs: They make the salmon cakes a bit more fluffy and less dense; it’s super simple to make bread crumbs at home from stale, dry bread. You can also use panko breadcrumbs.
- Optional: dried or chopped fresh parsley
- Oil: I like using avocado oil for frying these fish cakes but any heat proof oil will work (unless you use some very non-stick cookware)
Useful tools and equipment
You don’t need much for this easy recipe:
- Large bowl: I love my set of stainless steel mixing bowls that even come with lids.
- Fork: While you can use your hands to mix the ingredients, a fork helps break up the salmon.
- Large skillet: My favorite is my 12″ cast iron skillet but any big frying pan will work.
- Spatula: I love a large stainless steel spatula for flipping these salmon burgers
Substitutions and variations
You can easily vary this salmon patty recipe:
- Salmon: If you don’t have a can of salmon, you can also you fresh salmon. It is easier if the salmon has been cooked.
- Crab: You can swap the salmon to make equally delicious crab cakes if you don’t like the salmon flavor.
- Other ingredients: I love the recipe just as it is but you may like to add some chopped green onions, chopped fresh herbs (parsley or dill), a chopped bell pepper (red is great for a pop of color), or some lemon zest.
- Seasonings: Again, there are lots of great additions such as some Dijon mustard, Old Bay seasoning, a good helping of cracked black pepper, or some garlic powder.
How to serve
With some simple sides, these salmon patties make such an easy weeknight dinner. We love drizzling them with some lemon juice. Then you can serve them with a green salad and a good helping of tartar sauce.
They are also delicious with sweet potato fries, steamed green beans, roasted asparagus, classic coleslaw, or diced avocadoes. For a very healthy meal, you can even add some homemade sauerkraut.
Make ahead of time?
Honestly, this salmon patty recipe is so quick and easy that you may not need to prep it ahead of time. However, you could follow steps 1-3 of the recipe, cover them with plastic wrap, and keep the uncooked patties in your refrigerator. Since they contain raw eggs, I don’t recommend keeping the salmon mixture there for more than 24 hours.
If you’d like to keep the patties longer, you can place them on parchment paper and transfer them to the freezer until frozen solid. You can then keep them in an airtight in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before cooking them.
How to reheat salmon patties
Should you have any leftover salmon patties, there are various ways how to reheat them. You can certainly use a microwave oven on the lowest setting. You can also reheat them in a skillet over low heat. I have even used my steamer basket to heat them back up again.
How to Make the Salmon Cakes Without Breadcrumbs
Here are some ways to make these salmon patties without breadcrumbs, gluten-free or keto:
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs you can also use cracker crumbs from saltine crackers
- Use stale gluten-free bread and turn that into breadcrumbs
- You can also use almond flour instead of the breadcrumbs
- Some people like to replace some of the breadcrumbs with cornmeal to make this a real Southern classic
Shop this post:
Other delicious recipes you might like
How to make the salmon cakes
I love when things are simple. This recipe is one of them:
- Open the can (or cans) of salmon and empty it into a large mixing bowl. Add the egg and the breadcrumbs.
- With a fork, mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions. With wet hands form patties and gently press them so they hold their shape.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom.
- Carefully add the salmon patties to the hot skillet. Cook them for a few minutes on the first side until they are golden brown.
- Flip them and cook them on the second side until golden brown.
- Continue cooking them in batches if necessary.
- Serve them immediately with your favorite side dish or keep them for later.
Watch the recipe video:
I would love to hear in the comments below if you have tried to make them.
Quick & Easy Salmon Cakes
- 2 6oz cans salmon
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 TBSP dried parsley or fresh chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your pan or cast iron skillet. Add oil of your choice, such as avocado oil.
- Put all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Form even patties with slightly wet hands.
- Add patties to pan or skillet and fry on one side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip patties and fry on second side 3 -5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sides.
- for a gluten-free or keto version, you can use almond flour instead of the breadcrumbs
- feel free to add more ingredients such as chopped green onions, bell peppers, garlic powder, or Dijon mustard